Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Eternity in our Hearts

Coasting-to-Eternity-Near-Big-Sur-California.jpg

Deep  down in my soul,  I feel an ache for a different world, a better place, a heavenly home.
The Bible even says in Ecclesiastes 3:11 that God, “has put eternity into man’s heart.”

We can’t really grasp the depth of this truth without being submerged in the darkness of this fallen world. I don’t believe we would long for fields of forever and streets of gold if we were surrounded by happy circumstances all the time.

Comfortable spaces don’t cultivate challenges that point us to the Creator.
They just don’t.

So much pain to see. And you would think that looking away would be a good idea. After all, getting wrapped up in negativity and fear can pull even the most faithful christian away from recognizing the goodness of God.

But, I believe that we need to see it. We need to be aware of the horrific injustices and the tragic stories and the unfair treatment and the mind-boggling statistics.

We need to see it so our hearts feel the burn that comes from longing for our true home.
We need to see it so our minds recognize that no amount of knowledge or power can take the place of the all knowing, all powerful One.

Cause, in reality, our societal barrenness, our earthly lack, is meant to point us to the only One who can turn bad into good, overcome darkness with light, and transform death into life.
.
Our focus should always be heavenward but our actions should reflect our desire to bring heaven to earth. The yearning I have for my everlasting home should not take away from my mission to reflect Jesus while temporarily living on this planet. It should actually “spur me on towards love and good deeds.” (Hebrews 10:24)

And the same goes for you. Be sad when you read the paper. For we all have been touched by the hurting condition of this hurting world. But, then, let that sadness motivate you towards a life that leaves a legacy of love. Let that longing for a better place actually look like you creating an atmosphere of peace in the midst of the chaos.

Heaven’s call is for anyone but not everyone knows it. Those of us who have answered the call must use our eternal significance to bring the hope of heaven to this utterly despondent land of cheap thrills and flashy counterfeits.

I long for the day when I can be home sweet home in my Savior’s embrace.
But for now, I won’t look away from the pain. I’ll let it create a hunger in me for more of heaven’s touch lest I forget that I am only here for a short while.

And being a good steward of the time I have been given is really the best way to represent heaven well.

No comments: