Monday, October 21, 2013

Don't Forget to Remember

SEEK
(verb) -to look for; to go in search of; to try to discover
























I've been told all my life to seek God. 
Most of us know these simple truths:

1.Seek His face, not His hand.

2.Seek Him first.

Yes and Yes on both. 
We should seek God's face because we love Him, not just to get Him to do something for us. 
And we should seek God before anything else because life is better when we do. 

BUT 
What about when we don't want to seek God? 
When we're tired and don't even have the energy to muster a prayer?
What then? 



I've definitely had days, weeks, and months in my Christian walk where I'm so beat down by this world and my own mistakes that I don't even have the desire to seek Him. 
I know, it's shocking isn't it? 
I did just admit to that.  

Maybe when those hard times creep up on us, we lose our bearings because we forget why we seek Him in the first place. 

In Jeremiah 29:11 it says, 
"For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope."

We quote this verse so readily to others when they're down and out but forget to remind ourselves of it when our own lives are tough. 
How is this related to seeking God? 

Notice the next two verses:
v.12- THEN you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. 
v.13- And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. 

According to this famous passage in the Bible, we don't even have the desire to seek God if we aren't aware that His plans towards us are good, peaceful, and full of hope!  

Why would we want to trust Him with our hearts if we don't believe His heart toward us is good? 

When life gets hard and bad things happen, it's easy to stop seeking God. 
It's easy to forget what He has promised us. 

That's why we stay down for so long sometimes. 
We can't climb up out of our pit on our own. 
Unless we remember that God didn't put us in that pit and that His plan is to prosper us, we won't ever get out of it. 
We have to remember!

















I challenge you today:
Remember His goodness.... so that you want to seek Him.

Focus on His amazing promise of a hope filled destiny and a peace filled purpose! 

Then our hearts can't contain their joy!
Our mouths long to sing His praise!
And hope, like air, fills up our lungs! 

That's when the real fun begins!
When we remember....



VERSES TO PONDER:

Proverbs 8:17
"I love those who love Me,
And those who seek me diligently will find Me."

Luke 11:9-10
"And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened."

No comments: