Sunday, March 23, 2014

Comfortable In My Own Skin

I'm in my 30's and I finally feel like I'm comfortable in my own skin.
I know, I know, that's a bold statement!
But, it's true!



And I'm proud of the fact that I'm comfortable being me.
All of me....the pretty parts and the ugly parts. Yep, I have both. 
And I'm okay with it!

Are you?
If not, then I hope this post frees you from the things that are holding you back.
I pray it helps you embrace God's design for you!




In an effort to bring you freedom, I'm going to "bare all" and share some facts about me. 

1. I love Barbra Streisand. Yep! I can't watch her perform without crying. I still have memories of singing to her "Funny Girl" soundtrack in my bedroom with my hairbrush microphone when I was 16 years old! One day I want to meet her...

2. I love British television! Comedies, dramas, romance...all of it. I can watch "The Office UK", "Sherlock" and "Bridget Jones Diary" in one day and still want for more....

3. Give me a good book and a glass of wine and I'll be just fine. ("Little Women" and Moscato, please.) 

4. I hate reality television. I abhor it. Unless it's "The Voice"...then I'll make an exception. But any of that "teenage exploitative mumbo jumbo let's all live in the same house" stuff puts me in a foul mood. :)

5. I could live in a hut on the beach all by myself and be content. I would just wake up to the sound of waves, eat my freshly caught fish breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and sleep under the stars. Ok, maybe I'd miss my family a little bit. :)

6. A day without music would be a day of hell on earth for me. I live and breathe melodies and harmonies and lyrics. If I can't have that I would die from boredom and lack of creativity. 

7. I don't like parties. Don't get me wrong, I like to hang out with my friends. But, put me in a room with tons of people and I'll be the one sitting quietly in the corner playing on her phone. Call me an introvert. Call me anti-social. Either way, parties aren't for me. 

8. People think I'm quiet but I'm really just selective on the topics I'll discuss. I don't do surface conversations just to maintain good standing or to fit in. I find that kind of talk pointless and cheap. I will be nice but not deep if that's what you're looking for, but don't expect me to shoot the breeze over something just to fill the awkward silence. I'm not that girl. 

9. I'm passionate about raising awareness on the horrors of human trafficking. I will help these women and children that are being exploited, abused, and sold as a product or possession. I will speak up, stand up, and rise up to be a voice for these wounded ones. I will be a beacon of hope!

10. My life is nothing without Christ. He is my life. I am breathing His breath. I am singing His songs. I am writing His story. I am His and He is mine. 




Those are just some of the things that make me tick.
And let me tell you, it took me a long time to admit and embrace some of those things without worrying if you might like me. 

Over the years, I've:
run away 
taken detours 
changed directions 
ignored His voice
listened to the world
let my fears take over
compromised for someone else's happiness
kept silent when I should have spoken up
left instead of stayed
missed the mark time and time again 
lost myself 



But, you know what? 
God always knew I'd find "me." 

And even better ....He never lost me.
In fact, He's always had me...right in the palm of His hand. 
He lovingly made every single part of me. 

Genesis 1:31-
"God saw all that He had made and it was very good."


The same goes for you too, ya know?
All of the parts of you that others might think are quirky or weird....those things make you "YOU". 
So embrace all of who you are- cause if you don't, then who will? 

Be who you really are and life will make sense. 
All the pieces will fit. 
Healing will begin....


This next statement might offend you or it could set a fire inside of you. 
It's your choice.
But, 
I don't care anymore what people say about me. 


I love me and, more importantly, God loves me. 
Just the way I am. 
And that's all that matters....



No comments: