Monday, November 11, 2013

Can you handle the truth?

TRUTH-
(noun)the facts about something; the things that are true 
























John 8:32- "Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."


What do you believe is true?
About your life? About your relationships? About your future?


Are you living a free life? 
Do you have joyful, encouraging relationships?
Are you walking out your hope-filled future?


I've recently discovered that I've been believing some lies about these things.


























Did you know that Satan is called the "father of lies" and there is "no truth found in him"? (John 8:44)
That's pretty serious stuff.


But we, you and I, if we know Jesus as our Saviour, know the TRUTH.
And that TRUTH sets us free.


























There are things in this world that pretend to be the truth and trap us!
Things like: 

Commercials- "Wow, if I buy that hot red car then I'll be able to drive on the freeway with the wind in my hair and all my cares will fly away. That car will help me run away from all my problems."

Magazines - "Oh that model on the cover sure does look gorgeous. I'll buy this magazine and find out how she looks like that because noone will love me if I don't have her body."

Talk show hosts- "Obviously, she knows what she's talking about. She is super successful and everyone else listens to her advice so I need her new book. Who cares if she doesn't believe that there is only one God. She's a self-made woman, so I can be too." 



Those may seem like obvious traps but given the condition of today's youth, I think far too many fall prey to these lies.

How can we stop believing the lies?
By focusing on the TRUTH.

It sounds cliche I know. 
But it works.















Did you know that lies steal from you? They promise fulfillment, pleasure, joy, love and on and on....but all they do is take those things from you. 


















You bought that hot red car and now your monthly check goes directly to the payment. No carefree living for you!

You read the article in that magazine but can't seem to work out 2 hours a day with a personal trainer and cut out all meat in your diet. You binge eat to get over this reality and actually gain weight. 

You listened to that talk show host and left your husband because he wasn't attentive enough to your desires and needs. Now, you're all alone and broken searching for something or someone to fill that hole in your heart. 


How sneaky, huh? 


But what does God say about you?

Psalm 54:4- "God is my helper!
    The Lord is the provider for my life."

John 15:15- "I call you friends, because I have told you everything I have heard from My Father."

Jeremiah 31:3- "God told them, “I've never quit loving you and never will.
    Expect love, love, and more love!"


God helps us and provides for us! 
He calls us friends! 
He loved us before, He loves us now and He'll love us forever! 


So those promises must mean that you're pretty special....that you have worth and value....that God sees you and believes in you. 

That my friends is the TRUTH.
And when we get that TRUTH deep down in our hearts then we can tune out the lies that steal from us. 












God's truth GIVES. 
It never TAKES. 










If that doesn't set you free then I don't know what will!




No comments: