Monday, November 18, 2013

Forgiveness: Part 1










\







Forgiveness is a touchy subject.

Why?

Because we assume that forgiving someone means we are excusing their behavior.
We think we have to trust them again to prove that we forgave them.

So we don't forgive.
We hold pain, bitterness, resentment and anger inside towards that person.
Because those feelings seem justified.

No, my sweet sister in Christ.
Being justified in feeling something doesn't make it ok.
All that does is make your life miserable.
And what you really want is for your offender's life to be miserable.

Right?

Un-forgiveness is a slippery slope. 
The enemy lurks near those with unforgiving hearts.
He knows he can get you to replay the hurtful situation over and over again in your mind.

But, how does that help you?


I might have every reason to get revenge on the guy/girl who hurt me 10 years ago. 
I might feel justified in my actions. 
The devil wants you to FEEL justified.

Did you know we can't let our feelings dictate our actions?
Feelings trick us!



All we need is one excuse 
to stay stuck in un-forgiveness.


But, what does Jesus say about it?

Ephesians 4:31-32 NIV- 
"Get rid of all bitterness, rage and anger, brawling and slander, along with every form of malice. Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you."


You know what I've discovered about forgiving others?
That we can't do it on our own. 
We have to have help.

I can never muster up the courage to forgive in my own strength.
I have to surrender the offense into Christ's ever capable hands.
Only He can give me the ability to forgive.


I am not going to feel like forgiving that person.
But if I give it to God, HE WILL HELP ME.
Every single day...






















If forgiveness were easy, 
then the world would be doing it!
But we, as Christian women, 
are not of the world, are we?
We are set apart! 


Deuteronomy 14:2 says, 
"Remember you are people who have been set apart for Him; He has chosen you to be His own possession out of all the peoples on the earth."


When we forgive, we show people that we really believe what we preach:

 God forgave us SO we can forgive too!
  


No one said it would be easy, though.

I don't know what you've been through.
But, I do know Someone that does know.

And He promises a day to come without pain, sorrow and tears. 

ONE DAY SOON! 

Until then, we have to learn to forgive so we can truly live.

And the only one who can teach us is Jesus. 
He is and will always be the ultimate example of forgiveness.





















1 comment:

Tonya said...

Beautiful words. So much truth in that. Forgiveness has been one of the things God has been bringing to light for me lately and as I was reading your words, one particular phrase stood out... And what you really want is for your offender's life to be miserable.... YES, that's exactly what I want. But why? I need Jesus to help me each and every day. Thank you for putting in a way that makes sense.